For someone who had become so lazy with food I am finding huge delight in cooking so many wonderful things. There have been so many times where I’ve simply not bothered because I was too tired or thought it would take forever and that’s just not the case. Who knew that decent food could be so easy to prepare and cook, it makes me feel even worse about my years of ‘I can’t be bothered’ attitude!
This dish is great as a side or even as a bowl of healthy goodness as a whole meal, if you’d like to add extra herbs then do however I feel the lardons tend to give plenty of flavour along with the garlic so usually extra isn’t needed.
Makes 3 decent portions:
- 1 Savoy cabbage, shredded (approx 400g)
- 1 pack of bacon lardons (90g)
- 1 garlic clove
- 20g butter
- Salt and pepper
- In a large pan melt the butter and add the lardons, fry for 4 minutes then add the garlic and cook for a further minute.
- Add the cabbage to the pan and stir well to ensure all is coated in the fat … you may find not all the cabbage fits at once, put as much in as you can and as it heats it will shrink and you can keep adding until all the cabbage is in the pan.
- Reduce to a gentle heat, give one more through stir and place a lid on the pan.
- Allow the cabbage to steam for 8-10 minutes, stir through and serve immediately.
And there you have it, a quick and easy way of creating a delicious side dish or bowl of goodness. I had mine with some gluten free, low carb sausages and celeriac mash … divineeee xx
Nutritional values for the whole cabbage (divide depending on number of portions):
538kcal | 37g fat | 14g carbs | 29g protein