I have definitely got Christmas on the brain! I keep trying to conjur up meal ideas, starters and sides, snacks and nibbles, anything and everything yummy that we can devour at Christmas! I’m sure I’ll exceed my carb allowance over the festive period but who cares?! This is a way of eating to help me kerb medical conditions, one or two days of stuffing my face isn’t going to be the end of the world. I’ve removed myself from a few Facebook groups due to the Keto Police who lie in wait ready to attack anyone who dares to live a little!!
Anyways … here I present to you these tasty little numbers! I had 4″ tart dishes but you could make them smaller if you wanted and have bite size canapés.
- 100g ground almonds (almond flour)
- 100g grated mozzarella
- 50g grated cheddar
- 1 egg
- Herbs and seasoning to taste
- 100g mushrooms (wild ones are better but I couldn’t find any locally!)
- 50g Boursin (or herby cream cheese)
- 50ml double cream
- Preheat oven to 160c fan assisted or 180c without. Grease your tart pans and place them on a baking tray.
- Mix together the almonds, cheeses and herbs and then heat to melt the cheeses, you can either do this in bursts in the microwave or in a pan on the hob.
- Allow the mixture to cool slightly then add the egg and mix thoroughly until a dough is formed and the egg is thoroughly mixed through.
- Place the dough between two sheets of baking paper and roll out to approx 0.5cm thickness.
- Cut out rounds bigger than your dishes and carefully line you’re pans.
- Put a small circle of baking paper in the bottom of each case and add baking beans, blind bake for 15 minutes (this isn’t essential, I didn’t have mine with me so didn’t do mine, it just means you won’t have a flat base).
- While the cases are baking, chop the mushrooms and cook over a low heat for five minutes.
- Add the Boursin and cream to the pan and continue to cook for a further five minutes.
- Your mushrooms should be in a thick, creamy sauce, if it’s still too runny turn the heat up a little and keep stirring until it has thickened.
- By now your cases should be golden brown and ready to serve.
- Carefully extract your cases from the tins and plate up, fill with your creamy mushrooms and serve.
Nutritional values based on 4 tarts :
370kcal | 35g fat | 2.7g carbs | 17.5g protein