With Christmas fast appaching I thought I’d better knuckle down and try to think of a few things that would look fabulous on the Christmas dinner table. What better way to start than with a bright green centrepiece like this roulade! The sponge is a light egg mousse almost but it doesn’t give the eggy taste that some recipes do. I think this would also be deliscious with a chicken based filling, or perhaps you have other suggestions?
Don’t be scared off by the egg white whipping, so long as you have a super clean bowl and whisk you’ll be just fine, and keep a decent spatula to hand to help with the folding!
- 500g fresh spinach, washed (frozen will work too)
- 5 eggs, separated (mine were medium but size doesn’t matter)
- 1 tbsp coconut flour
- Salt & Pepper
- 15g parmesan, grated
- 200g full fat cream cheese
- 100g smoked salmon
- 150g cooked prawns, optional (I used king prawns and chopped them but use smaller if you prefer)
- 2 sprigs dill, roughly chopped
- Preheat oven to 200c or 180c fan assisted. Line a Swiss roll tin with parchment paper ensuring the side are covered too.
- Put the spinach in a large pan with just the water left on the leaves from washing and stir over medium heat until all leaves have wilted. I had to do mine in two batches despite my largest pan!
- Once the spinach is cool enough to handle drain as much water as you can. I used a cheese cloth but you can use a tea towel or simply your hands to squeeze the water out.
- Put the spinach into a large bowl with the egg yolks and coconut flour plus salt and pepper to your desired taste. Use a hand blender to blend until all bits are gone.
- In a separate bowl, which must be squeaky clean, put the egg whites with a pinch of salt and whisk until stiff peaks form. Be careful not to over whip otherwise you’ll split the mix.
- Now carefully fold the egg whites into your spinach mixture one third at a time until well combined.
- Pour you spinach foam into your prepared baking tray and gently level out with a spatula or knife.
- Bake for 10-12 minutes until firm to touch and beginning to shrink away from the edges.
- While hot, sprinkle the parmesan all over the cooked sponge, cover with baking paper and flip onto a cooling rack. Leave both pieces of paper on and leave to cool.
- To prepare the fillling chop the salmon into pieces, add the cream cheese and dill then blend until smooth. Add the prawns and mix well.
- Carefully peel off the baking paper from the top side, you may pull of a thin layer but don’t worry just go steady.
- Spread your filling over the whole sheet leaving a 1cm gap on one of the short ends.
- Now carefully use the baking paper to help roll from the covered short end up until you have a big roll. Wrap in the parchment paper and refrigerate for at least 30 mins.
- Slice as serve with a wedge of lemon.
I hope you enjoy this as much as I did, any questions feel free to ask xx
3 thoughts on “Keto Spinach and Salmon Roulade”
I want this now!
LikeLiked by 1 person
This would look amazing on any dinner table, not just at Christmas! What a beautiful colour 🙂
Isn’t it snazzy!! Love bright natural colours 😍😍
LikeLiked by 1 person