Who doesn’t love cheese straws?! You know the ones i mean, flakey, puffy, cheesy goodness that melts in your mouth and are unbelievably moreish? Well … rather by chance I have made a flakey, cheesy, puffy pastry that is very much like those straws 🙂 I made biscuits with mine as I had intended to make actual biscuits but these turned out soooo much better than I was expecting … result! Next time i will try and form into straws and see how it goes.
These would make glorious nibbles if you were having a party and I have other big plans to try with it so fingers crossed there will be more recipes coming soon. I paired them up with some tuna mayo for a filling and scrummy dinner last night, they are incredibly moreish but i found the almond was so filling that three was enough.
Makes 12-15 depending on cutter size
- 50g grated parmesan
- 50g grated cheddar (as fine as you can)
- 50g cold unsalted butter, cubed
- 100g grounds almonds
- 1 tsp baking powder
- Herbs are optional, add to taste if you wish
- Combine all the dry ingredients together in a bowl.
- Add the butter and using your fingertips rub the butter into the ingredients.
- Eventually a dough will form, knead until the butter is distributed throughout and no lumps remain.
- It will probably be quite soft and sticky by the time all is mixed in, wrap it in cling film, flatten it slightly and put in the fridge for 30-60 minutes to firm up.
- Preheat oven to 180c fan assisted or 200c without. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
- Once firm, take your dough out of the cling film and place betweeen two sheets of baking paper and roll out to approx 5mm thickness. Use round cookie cutters or whatever you fancy to cut your desired shapes and careful place on the baking sheet, these will spread slightly during cooking so leave gaps between.
- Chill again for 20 minutes to reduce spreading (not essential).
- Bake for 12-15 mins until golden, they will be soft to touch when they come out of the oven. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
How easy is that?! These have kept really well in an airtight container over night, they haven’t lost any crunch at all! Perfect for lunch boxes, snacks, nibbles, meals …. a versatile cheesy delight I’d say, enjoy xx
Nutritional Values (based on 12) per biscuit: 118kcal | 11g fat | 0.7g carbs | 4.2g protein