My boyfriend has been eating a tonne of quiche lately and I couldn’t help but feel a little jealous to be honest. I have always found quiche to be really satisfying and a fabulous comfort food in those moments of need. Old me would have given in and had a slice along with a feeble line of , ‘oh one piece won’t hurt’ or something like that! However, new me decided I’d find a way to make a keto friendly quiche instead … and I’d go as far as saying I succeeded!
The crust is based on my Cheesy Puff Rolls recipe but without the baking powder or butter. It gives a firm crust and the taste isn’t too overpowering surprisingly. Once your case is baked you can fill with anything you fancy, any meats must be cooked prior to putting in the quiche and vegetables should be finely sliced.
The amount of quiche filling needed varies a little on how much you have in the quiche and also how deep your pan is so I’ve made a batch slightly bigger that you should require to allow for any errors. So without further ado I present to you a yummy scrummy, low carb quiche!
For the crust:
- 100g ground almonds
- 50g grated cheddar
- 50g grated parmesan
- 50g grated mozerella (I lost my grater and had to work with pizza cheese, its fine Just takes a little longer to melt)
- 1 egg
- 1tsp mixed herbs (or herbs to compliment your filling)
For the filling
- Bacon (or filling of your choice – meat should be precooked)
- 5 medium eggs
- 200ml double cream
- 100ml water
- Preheat oven to 180c fan assisted or 200c without. Lightly grease a loose bottomed 24cm quiche pan.
- To make the crust, mix together the three cheeses, herbs and ground almonds in a microwaveable bowl.
- Microwave or 40-60 seconds until the cheese has melted and you can mix them all together, a fork works best here.
- Add an egg and continue to mix until fully combined and a dough has formed, it will be really soft at this stage.
- Wrap in cling film, flatten slightly so it’s spread out and put in the fridge for 20-40 mins until cold and firmer.
- Remove from cling film and place between two sheets of greaseproof paper. Roll out into a circle about an inch bigger than your tin, use the tin as a guide for size.
- Peel off the top layer of paper and with the dough still stuck to the bottom piece flip it over into the tin, carefully align and then remove the backing paper while carefully pressing the dough into the tin.
- Once your tin is lined, trim away any excess (use any excess to patch up holes or thin sections if need be) and prick the bottom with a fork all over.
- Cut a piece of baking paper down to line the inside of your crust (I used one of the pieces from rolling out my dough) and fill with baking beans or dry rice. Blind bake in the oven for 15-20 mins until golden.
- Remove the baking beans and paper and leave to cool. It will come out soft but firm up as it cools.
- Turn the oven down 30c.
- While its cooling prepare your filling. Cut the bacon into bite size pieces and fry until cooked and the fat is browned off, leave to the side to cool.
- Whisk together the eggs, cream and water.
- Sprinkle the bacon and grated cheddar into your quiche crust and then cover with the egg mixture. Bake for 40 mins, keep an eye after 30 mins, you want to achieve a lovely golden top and firm centre.
- Leave to stand for 5 minutes before removing from your tin and serving.
I enjoyed this quiche hot with salad for my dinner and then had another slice cold for breakfast the next day – it was as good hot a slice it was cold! Delicious 😀 xx
Whole quiche – 3234kcal | 280g fat | 13g carbs | 199g protein
Per slice (I did 6 big ones!) 539kcal | 47g fat | 2g carbs | 33g protein