Who doesn’t love a cheesey, meaty satisfying bake? It’s the next best thing to a lasagne I reckon and while I’m trying to steer away from carbs I’d say this was a pretty awesome replacement. Courgettes take the place of the pasta and for someone who isn’t a huge fan of courgettes I’d say this was a mega hit. It was hearty, hot and filling and ticked all the same boxes as a lasagne would for me. I used beef mince in this one but you could easily swap for a lamb or alternative meat if you prefer, likewise I had some Boursin in the fridge so I chose to add that for a bit of flavour but feel free to make up the quantity with plain cream cheese.
- 2 large courgettes
- 1 tsp salt
- 500g mince
- 1/2 onion (brown or red)
- 100g cream cheese
- 50g boursin
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 garlic clove
- 50g grated cheddar cheese
- 50g grated mozerella cheese
- Preheat oven to 180c fan assisted or 200c without
- Thinly slice the courgettes and toss in a bowl with a teaspoon of salt, cover with cling film and leave to sit
- Finely slice the onion and mince the garlic clove, gently fry until the onion is soft
- Add the mince and cook until browned, add the oregano and stir in the cream cheese and Boursin ensuring it is all melted through before turning off the heat
- Go back to the courgettes which you will now find has a puddle of liquid, drain the liquid and pat dry with kitchen towel
- Lay out the courgette on the bottom of a medium sized oven dish, add half the mince mixture and spread to cover all the courgettes. Repeat with the remaining courgette and mince
- Sprinkle the cheese over the top ensuring it is all covered
- Bake for 30 minutes and hey presto you’re all done!
Serve this up with a crispy salad of your choice or some steamed vegetables and you have yourself a deliciously filling wholesome meal that’s sure to go down well with the whole family!
I’ve worked out the nutrional values for the whole dish (they may vary slightly depending on courgettes and brands), you can get 3 or 4 decent sized portions from this: 1478kcal | 94g fat | 17g carbs | 144g protein
I hope you all enjoy this xx